October 11, 2006

Kruger's Farm Market

One of the best things about living in Portland is our close proximity to farms where we can buy lovely produce, get up close to the animals that give us food, and have a conversation with a real, live farmer. A farmer who told us that he sees his farm as "our farm" and that he is its steward.

Clara, baby Iris and I, along with our preschool class, made the trip to Kruger's Farm Market on Sauvie Island. There we got a tour of the fields with Farmer Don, a fit, energetic man who clearly loves children and has at least one small child himself. I was impressed that at least one kid in our group knew the name of every fruit and vegetable he showed us (even the brussel sprouts and the figs!), but then I'm always impressed Clara's classmates. They're kids who have a clear connection to the world around them.

The great find of the day was strawberries! Farmer Don grows a variety that is still sending up lovely, red delicious berries for $2 per pint. I can make more freezer jam after all!

(I eyed the honey Kruger's sold, which was from Washington State, since I would like to use it in place of refined sugar [which definitely isn't local to this region] but wow, it was really expensive. Of course, the economics of sugar are vastly different than the honey business. When I run out of refined sugar, I'll revisit this issue.)

We visited with the farm's animals: sheep, pigs, and a very sweet baby alpaca. (I CANNOT believe that I forgot my camera, but some other parents will hopefully send me photos soon.) Farmer Don bought baby chicks earlier this year and raised them into fine, fat chickens that lay about three eggs a day total, he says. Our kids are well-acquainted with chickens as Teacher Angela keeps them at the school and the kids get to peek in on their laying progress. Seeing them made me start building chicken coops in my head…I think I'd really like to get a few next year.

Next we climbed onto flatbed trailers piled high with fresh hay and Farmer Don drove us out to the pumpkin field. When I settled myself down into the hay, Iris sleepy and heavy in my sling, I noticed how soft and comforting the hay was, and imagined what it would be like to take a nap on a bed of hay, layered with thick, wool blankets. Why did we ever get away from using such a lovely, renewable resource for a basic household item like a mattress?

The clear, blue sky and bright sun made it a perfect day for the farm. I felt so lucky to be able to share a day like this with my daughters, getting them out to a source of fun and food just fifteen minutes from our house. I drove home, with my four pints of strawberries and a pumpkin in the back of the car, wishing I could buy all of our food this way all the time. Of course, we could, if we only shopped at farmers' markets. But how can we get our food rhythms and a roster of recipes in line with what's available locally, year-round?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home